Two bodies pulled from River Clyde by police divers in heartbreaking update after boat capsizes | The Sun

THE bodies of two sailors have been recovered after a tugboat capsized in the River Clyde.

The tugboat capsized yesterday near the Custom House Quay at the mouth of the River Clyde yesterday afternoon.

The boat was believed to be carrying two people and was claimed to be towing cruise ship the MV Hebridean Princess.

And this morning the search was relaunched after being called off at 8pm last night.

Police Scotland's specialist Dive and Marine Unit were on the water this morning as the search continued.

The bodies of the two sailors were recovered from the capsized boat at around 1.40pm today.

Police confirmed formal identification is yet to take place but the next of kin of both crew members who were reported missing have been informed.

Chief Inspector Damian Kane, local area commander, said: “Our thoughts are with the families and friends of the men at this difficult time and I would ask that their privacy is respected.

“I would like to thank the local community for their patience and support as searches were ongoing and as we continue to carry out our enquiries.”

Yesterday the search for the two sailors triggered a multi agency response including a coastguard helicopter, police rescue boats and lifeboat crews.

Most read in News


Nicola ghoul who tricked cops to film mum’s body UNMASKED as TikTok creep barber


Pregnant Gogglebox star shows off baby bump as she returns to Channel 4 sofa


Love Island boy hits out at ex after shock dumping as bombshells recouple


Una Healy dumps David Haye & Sian Osborne after row over holiday

Last night rescue vessels with searchlights were on the water as the search stretched into the night.

Police confirmed enquiries into the tragedy are ongoing.

Witnesses told how the boat disappeared under the water just after 4pm yesterday afternoon.

One shocked onlooker said: "We were here at about 3.45pm and noticed an upturned rusty hull in the water.

"There were a few small crafts round about the tug and then the coastguard turned up and they were tapping on the hull and shouting loudly.

"It was a massive emergency response. At first I thought it was a training exercise but then it became obvious they were urgently trying to establish if anyone was under the boat.

"Then at about 4:05pm it sank – the nose went down. We couldn't see anyone in the water."

We pay for your stories and videos! Do you have a story or video for The Scottish Sun? Email us at [email protected] or call 0141 420 5200

Source: Read Full Article

click fraud detection