Hundreds evacuated and GP patients told 'stay away' after huge gas leak sparks chaos | The Sun
HUNDREDS of residents have been evacuated from their homes after a gas leak was detected at a doctor's surgery.
Around 200 people were evacuated from their homes in Vauxhall after firefighters worked to make the area on Jonathan Street safe after a gas leak was reported at 4:33 am today.
A 100-meter cordon was still in place by mid-morning as a precaution from the London Fire Brigade as people in nearby homes were evacuated.
A respite centre has been set up at a local church for those who have been displaced.
Lambeth Council has said it is supporting the residents affected by the gas leak.
Lambeth posted on Twitter, now X: "We're working with the London Fire Brigade and Lambeth police on managing the incident following the evacuation of residents.
"Respite centres have been established and work is ongoing."
Lambeth Police said: "A number of residents have been evacuated as a precaution while engineers work to resolve the situation.
"Police continue to work with partners, including the local authority, while the situation remains ongoing."
London Fire Brigade also posted on X reporting: "Disruption will likely continue through the day as we work to make the scene safe."
Most read in The Sun
SCRUM OF THE OTHER
Stuart Hogg splits from wife & enjoys spa with ‘world’s sexiest jockey’
Alex Scott wows as she goes braless in see-through dress at GQ Men of the Year awards
Hamas terror cell INSIDE MRI suite at Gaza hospital revealed in IDF footage
MAFS UK groom QUITS reunion as he snubs show following dramatic marriage split
They added: "We remain at the scene of a gas leak on Jonathan Street in Vauxhall.
"A 100-metre cordon is currently in place with several roads closed.
"A respite centre has been set up locally for those who have been temporarily displaced from their homes."
London Fire Brigade has said the gas authority and the local authority are leading the incident now.
Two people were seen by London Ambulance Service crews at the scene – but it has been confirmed it is unrelated to the gas leak.
Source: Read Full Article