New Hanover County High School shooting leaves 'one student shot' and building on lockdown

ONE student was reportedly shot and rushed to hospital as gunfire erupted at a high school.

Reports emerged of a shooting at the Wilmington, North Carolina, school just before 12pm local time on Monday.


The school board confirmed that the high school had been placed on lockdown after the claims emerged.

"New Hanover High School is currently on lockdown. We are asking families to NOT come to the building," they wrote.

"Law enforcement is currently on the scene. We will update our New Hanover High School families as more information becomes available."

Police confirmed that there was a shooting at the high school and that they were on the scene.

Lt. Jerry Brewer with the sheriff’s office told WECT that one student was shot and taken to the hospital.

Students were initially locked down in their classrooms before being evacuated just after 12.10pm.

Footage from an on-scene reporter showed a group of masked-up students leaving the building. Staff were also evacuated.

Police said that parents will need to pick their children up from the MLK Center once the school has conducted an "accurate headcount."

Parents claimed on social media that their children contacted them to tell them of the devastating news.

"My baby called me terrified," one person wrote, while another said: "Yes my son called and told us."

Alongside the lockdown, law enforcement agencies have also blocked off roads close to the school.

It has not yet been confirmed whether or not the shooter has been located.

Footage that is believed to be from the scene shows students fighting in one of the corridors before gunshots could be heard ringing out. It has not been confirmed by police.

    Source: Read Full Article

    click fraud detection