Fury as four people charged with 'breaking Covid lockdown rules' while attending Sarah Everard vigil

THE Met Police have sparked fury after charging four people for allegedly breaking Covid lockdown rules while attending a vigil for Sarah Everard.

Hundreds of Brits headed to Clapham Common on March 13 last year to pay their respects to the murdered 33-year-old.


It took place just one week after she had been kidnapped, raped and murdered by vile Met officer Wayne Couzens.

But the peaceful gathering soon turned nasty – with cops pinning women to the ground and hauling them away in handcuffs.

Heavy-handed officers dragged tearful attendees away from the candle-lit shrine during the ugly clash in south London.

But despite the High Court deciding that the force had breached the rights of organisers of the vigil, four people have now been charged with breaking Covid rules.

READ MORE UK NEWS

Twisted pizza boss murdered his wife before telling cops she went out for a run

Live weather forecast – Brits set for 23C today as heatwave continues

Dania Al-Obeid, 27, from Stratford; Vivien Hohmann, 20, of Clapham; Ben Wheeler, 21, from Kennington and Kevin Godin-Prior, 68, of Manchester all face a charge of participating in a gathering of more than two people in a public outdoor place in a Tier 4 area.

Cops claim they gathered "without reasonable excuse and other than as permitted by the regulations".

The charge states the foursome allegedly "participated in a gathering in the Tier 4 area of London" consisting of more than two people.

The Reclaim These Streets vigil was cancelled after police warned it would be illegal, but throngs of supporters still headed to Clapham Common.

Most read in The Sun

FIGHT OR FLIGHT

Full list of UK flights cancelled today including TUI and easyJet

CURTAINS FOR BGT

BGT semi-final descends into chaos with children left in tears

GOGGLESHOCKS

Pregnant Gogglebox star Georgia Bell alarms fans as she posts covered in blood

MAKING MEMORIES

One last sleepover with my daughter helped me smile, says Deborah James

The vigil started peacefully with women lifting their lighters in unison and holding placards as they stood in solidarity with Sarah.

Ugly scenes of pushing and cops grabbing hold of mourners followed, while numerous people were arrested.

Social media posts later shone a light on the Met's misconduct, leading to calls for then-Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick to quit.

Four women brought a legal challenge against the force over its "grotesque" handling of the event, which was also intended to be a protest about violence against women.

They withdrew from organising the event after being told they would face fines of £10,000 each and possible prosecution.

Lord Justice Warby and Mr Justice Holgate found the Met's decisions in the run-up to the event were "not in accordance with the law".

Read More on The Sun

Full list of UK flights cancelled today including TUI and easyJet

BGT semi-final descends into chaos with children left in tears

But even after the High Court ruled in the women's favour, the Met is still refusing to accept the ruling.

Just yesterday the force was again refused permission to appeal and were told they had no "arguable basis" to do so.

    Source: Read Full Article

    click fraud detection