Anti-Trump Capitol rioter John Sullivan 'sold footage of DC attack to CNN & NBC for $70K' after he 'encouraged siege'
ANTI-Donald Trump Capitol rioter John Sullivan allegedly sold footage of the attack to CNN and NBC for $70,000 after "encouraging" the siege.
Sullivan, who maintains that he was at the riot to document it as a journalist, was arrested in January for the role he played in the attack.
Sullivan was captured on video telling other rioters things like, "it's our house," and, "we got to get this s**t burned."
He claims that he works for the website Insurgence USA, and his lawyer has now filed invoices showing that Sullivan was paid for the videos he captured.
According to the documents, CNN and NBC each paid Sullivan $35,000 for footage he recorded inside the Capitol on January 6, after Trump supporters stormed the building.
The FBI, however, claims that Sullivan was an active part of the riot.
An affidavit claims that Sullivan helped another rioter get into the building, and then walked through a smashed window himself to enter.
Sullivan managed to record the moment a police officer fatally shot rioter Ashli Babbitt as she attempted to climb through a broken window being guarded by officers.
He sold that footage to several news networks, according to the New York Post.
Sullivan is facing six charges for his role in the riot, including obstruction of an official proceeding, civil disorder and disorderly conduct.
Prosecutors requested on Tuesday that Sullivan be banned from using social media while he awaits his trial.
A judge ruled that the defendant can keep using his accounts, but that he must stop working for Insurgence USA and can't use social media to incite riots or violence of any sort.
A spokesperson for CNN said that the company pulled the footage they bought from Sullivan after they realized he had been booked.
"On January 6th, CNN was contacted by a reputable agent regarding an eye-witness video from the Capitol Hill riots," the spokesperson said.
"The company entered into a one-week agreement for use of 44-seconds of key content, which was attributed to the witness on air.
"When his role in the event was later called into question, the company informed staff to cease all use of the video."
The news comes after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced plans to launch a 9/11-style commission to investigate the Capitol riots as a "domestic terrorist attack."
The commission would be created to "investigate and report on the facts and causes relating to the January 6, 2021 domestic terrorist attack upon the United States Capitol Complex," Pelosi said.
"And relating to the interference with the peaceful transfer of power, including facts and causes relating to the preparedness and response of the United States Capitol Police and other Federal, State, and local law enforcement in the National Capitol Region."
Source: Read Full Article